2 Taliban killed, 3 captured in HeratBy Ahmad Quraishi Nov 21, 2010 - 12:45
HERAT CITY (PAN): Afghan security forces have killed two Taliban and wounded three more in an operation to clear militants in western Herat province, officials said on Sunday.
The operation started on Saturday morning in Kapgan area of Pashtun Zarghon district and is still going on, Herat police spokesman, Col. Noor Khan, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Security forces also recovered three Kalashnikovs, two rockets and some other weapons, he said.
Pashtun Zarghon district chief, Abdul Rasheed Popal, said the operation had been launched at the locals’ request after the Taliban tried to kidnap a speaker at the mosque. Te villagers saved the man after chasing off the Taliban with guns and sticks.
Gul Rahim, a resident of the area, said: “Why do the Taliban and local illegal armed commanders kill innocent people?”
Two months ago gunmen attacked a wedding and wounded two women in Oba district of the province. When the Oba police chief, Sayed Sarajuddin, pursued the assailants, he and three guards were killed in a roadside bomb.