Joint-force start 7-day cleaning operation in LogarBy Abdul Maqsud Azizi Dec 21, 2010 - 13:26
PUL-I-ALAM (PAN): Hundreds of Afghan and international forces have started a week-long operation to clear a district of central Logar province of the Taliban, an official said on Tuesday.
The operation, involving about 600 Afghan and NATO-led forces, had been demanded by locals and will continue four seven days, Baraki Barak district chief, Muhammad Rahim Amin, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Four suspected militants were arrested in Chaltan, Panj Pai and Ahmad Abad villages of the district on Monday night, Amin added.
One of the detainees was arrested with sodium nitrate, used for making bombs, he said.
The armed militants have not made any comments on the arrests so far.
The Taliban had been sensing night letters warning government employees not to go to work, a government worker said on condition of anonymity.
Muhammad Derwaish, the Logar governor’s spokesman, said they had reports that a NATO vehicle had struck a roadside bomb on Monday night in Zarghon area of Muhammad Agha district. He had no information about casualties.
NATO’s International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) has not made any comment on the incident.