Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

64 civilians killed in Kunar raids, says governor

64 civilians killed in Kunar raids, says governor

By
On
Feb 20, 2011 - 15:37

ASADABAD (PANinfo-icon): More than 60 civilians, including womeninfo-icon and children, were killed in joint operations by Afghan forces and NATOinfo-icon-led troops in eastern Kunar province, Governor Fazlullah Wahidi said on Sunday.

Of the civilians killed in airstrikes in Ghaziabad district, 20 were women and 29 children or young adults, the governor told Pajhwok Afghan News. "They were killed in ground offensives and air raids," he said.

The offensive was carried out in the Argal area, where dozens of ordinary people suffered causalities. A delegation sent to the site for investigations found that 64 civilians had been killed and many others injured, Wahidi added.

More than a dozen militants were also injured, according to the governor, who said the delegation ensure the reopening of roads to the area. Residents are busy transferring the injured to hospital and burying the dead.

Foreign soldiers killed dozens of civilians and injured many others, said a resident of the remote district, Mohammad Omar. Clashes between militants and international troops continued on Saturday night.

The International Security Assistance Force said on Friday a coalition forces air weapons team engaged a large number of armed men in Ghaziabad, killing more than 30 insurgents. On an aerial security patrol, the team identified armed fighters in the area and engaged them.

A day later, residents alleged dozens of civilians were killed and wounded in operations by foreign troops, who pounded different areas of the district over the past three days.

Mohammad Ibrahim, a resident of the Dara Gal village who brought wounded relative to the Asadabad Civil Hospital, claimed 52 civilians were killed in the raids. Most of the injured could not be taken to hospital due to road blockades.

Also on Sunday, the multinational force said in a statement that foreign troops engaged an unknown number of insurgents in two separate operations and attacked them with small-arms fire and airstrikes. Initial reports indicated no civilian casualties, it added.

myn/mud

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update