Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Karzai briefed on attacks, civilian deaths

Karzai briefed on attacks, civilian deaths

By
On
Feb 20, 2011 - 20:37

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): President Hamid Karzai on Sunday discussed with high-level officials recent attacks in Kabul and Nangarhar, as well as civilian casualties in a coalition airstrike in Kunar province.

At a meeting attended by officials from interior and defence ministries and the National Directorate of Security, Karzai was presented with detailed reports on the attacks in Kabul and Jalalabad, his office said.

The president condemned the assault on Kabul Bank's branch and directed the officials concerned to spare no effort in providing assistance to the affected families.

Participants praised the courage of Afghan security forces in preventing further casualties in the Jalalabad, the Presidential Palace said in a statement.

The meeting also discussed reports about civilian causalities during airstrikes by NATOinfo-icon-led troops in the Ghaziabad district of Kunar. Security officials were told to probe the incident.

Also on Sunday, the Kunar governor claimed the air raids had killed 64 civilians. Fazlullah Wahidi said they had sent a delegation to investigate the incident that happened two days ago in the Dar Gul village.

The International Security Assistance Forces said it was looking into the allegation that more than 50 civilian had been killed during the operation.

While denouncing the airstrikes, Karzai said the government was responsible for protecting Afghans during such operations. He promised measures would be taken to prevent such incidents in the future.

ma/mud

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update