Terror bid foiled in Kandahar: NDS
KANDAHAR CITY (PAN): Intelligence operatives seized a huge cache of explosives, weapons and two would-be suicide attackers with a bomb-rigged car in southern Kandahar province, officials said on Tuesday.
The seizure thwarted a possible rebel attack in Kandahar City, the provincial National Directorate of Security (NDS) head, Gen. Mohammad Naeem Momin, told a press conference.
The weapons and car were shown to journalists. Insurgents wanted to use the explosives and the car for an assault on the Muhallajat neighbourhood of Kandahar City, Momin said.
"Militant leaders sought to avenge the losses they suffered during a recent operation, codenamed Hamkari (Cooperation). Their aim was to launch organised attacks in the city," he added.
Intelligence officials, who worked hard for several days to thwart the insurgent plans, were able to arrest two would-be suicide bombers with the explosives-laden car.
They seized 12 machine guns, seven rocket launchers, 60 magazines full of bullets, five AK-47s, one BM-1 artillery shell, 45 rocket and mortar rounds and thousands of bullets and anti-personnel mines.
Information about the detained bombers, currently under investigation, would be released later, Momin said, adding the explosives had been skillfully hidden in the car.
Governor Toryalai Weesa said the intelligence agents had "saved the lives of hundreds of innocent people". He commended the NDS employees, urging the central government to give them cash awards.
A week ago, the NDS seized weapons and explosives in Spin Boldak near the Pakistan border, Maroof district and Kandahar City.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.