Vote recount begins in Nangarhar
JALALABAD (PAN): A vote recount began on Wednesday in eastern Nangarhar province after complaints of massive rigging in last year's parliamentary elections, an official said.
A special delegation from Kabul initiated the recount in the presence of candidates in Jalalabad, the provincial capital, urban court chief, Fazl Hadi Fazal, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Ghulam Farooq Meranai, who did not make it to Parliament in the Sept. 18 elections, demanded the process be carried out in a transparent manner.
He alleged most of runners had used fraudulent votes and money to find their way to the legislature. He claimed having evidence in support of the allegation.
"Residents of Khogyani district, where girls go to high schools, were deprived of their right to vote," he said.
A former lawmaker, Safia Siddiqui, said they had filed complaints of widespread fraud with the authorities concerned, but their demand for an investigation fell on deaf ears.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.