Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

NATO apologises for killing of 9 Afghan children

NATO apologises for killing of 9 Afghan children

By
On
Mar 03, 2011 - 08:34

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon) The commander of NATOinfo-icon-led forces in Afghanistaninfo-icon apologised after an investigation concluded that coalition troops killed nine children.

Gen. David Petraeus, commander of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAFinfo-icon), said he would personally apologise to President Hamid Karzai after Afghan leader  returns from a trip to London this week.

"We are deeply sorry for this tragedy and apologize to the members of the Afghan government, the people of Afghanistan, and, most importantly, the surviving family members of those killed by our actions," Petraeus said in a statement on Wednesday.

Some children were among the dead, the ISAF statement said.

Preliminary findings of an investigation showed that ISAF forces accidentally killed nine civilians in the Darah-Ye Pech district of Afghanistan's eastern Kunar province on Tuesday, the statement said. The incident happened after insurgents fired rockets at a base used by US and Afghan troops.

"These deaths should never have happened," Petraeus said.

"Regrettably, there appears to have been an error in the hand-off between identifying the location of the insurgents and the attack helicopters that carried out the subsequent operations."

Petraeus promised that the incident would be investigated and that if necessary, disciplinary action would be taken. 

In a statement earlier on Wednesday, Karzai condemned the incident "in the strongest terms possible". He noted the incident occurred less than 10 days after another incident "that left many civilians dead in the same province".

He  cautioned foreign troops against killing Afghan civilians in operations against insurgents, saying the casualties could create problems for the coalition.

"These killings of innocent people once again show that Afghan villages and streets are not safe havens for terrorists," the statement quoted Karzai as saying.

As many as 2,000 residents of Manogi district on Wednesday protested against the killing of children who they said were collecting firewood. They blocked the Nangarhar highway for four hours and called for the perpetrators to be brought to justice.

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update