Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Night raids to spark public resistance: governor

Night raids to spark public resistance: governor

By
On
Mar 05, 2011 - 20:52

KUNDUZ CITY (PANinfo-icon): The governor of northern Takhar province on Saturday warned foreign troops against nighttime operations, saying such action could spark resistance from residents.

The warning comes a week after NATOinfo-icon-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAFinfo-icon) soldiers conducted nighttime operations in two areas of Bahak district.

Governor Abdul Jabbar Taqwa said foreign troops had gained nothing form the operations that involved "irresponsible civilian house searches".

"The raids were carried out without local officials being consulted," the governor told a press conference. The areas where foreign troops conducted the raids had already been cleared of insurgents, he insisted.

"If foreign soldiers have any information about the presence of militants, they should share it with local security officials, who can clear the areas and can arrest the guerrillas," the governor said.

"Such raids frighten families and widen the gap between the people and the government and strengthen insurgents," he said.

A commander of NATO mission in the province, Col. Moheland who attended the press conference, promised they would inform local officials prior to such operations in the future.

"In the future, areas where militants are weakened, we will conduct operations jointly with Afghan counterparts, but in areas where the insurgents are strong, the international troops will conduct unilateral operations," he said.

The commander said no one was arrested or hurt in the raids which he said were carried out in coordination with Afghan forces.

Maulviinfo-icon Abdul Bari, a resident of Baharak district, said if such operations continued to take place, residents would join hands with the insurgents.

Also member of the provincial ulemainfo-icon council, Bari said foreign soldiers should inform local officials before launching their operations in order to avoid reaction from locals.

Meanwhile, nearly 200 residents of the district staged a protest demonstration against the raids.

They asked the international forces to refrain from conducting night time raids.

"The protestors were promised that their message will be conveyed to ISAF soldiers," provincial police chief, Brig. Gen. Shah Jahan Noori, told Pajhwok Afghan News.

frm/ma

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update