Sangin peace deal a success: Mangal
LASHKARGAH (PAN): A peace deal between the government and tribal elders in Sangin district had been effective in ensuring security and peace, the governor of southern Helmand province said on Saturday.
Under the deal reached two months ago with the Alakozay tribe in Sarwan Qala area, the Taliban will not attack the security personnel and foreign troops avoid conducting nighttime raids without consulting Afghan forces.
There has been a considerable change in lives of Sarwan Qala residents since the agreement was reached, Gulab Mangal told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The Taliban have stopped their activities in northern parts of Sangin, where reconstruction projects are going on in full swing, the governor said.
Construction work on a key road connecting Sangin to Kajaki district was in progress, while several other development schemes, including the cleaning of canals, had been launched, Mangal added.
The governor, who paid a visit to the area last week, said there were still problems which would be addressed with the provision of jobs for young people.
A 15-member tribal council has been established to arrange talks between the government and rebels, when needed, he said.
A member of the council, Abdul Salam, claimed militants had laid down their arms as a result of the deal. He added the entry of fighters fleeing other areas had been blocked.
The elder said the security situation had greatly improved in Sarwan Qala because the government stuck to its pledges. However, he accused foreign forces of breaching promises by launching secret operations.
Another elder, Fateh Khan, linked the positive change to the sincerity shown by both parties.
Four months ago, the security responsibility for Sangin, which remained under Taliban's control for the last four years, was handed over to US Marines by British troops.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.