Vote recount begins in Kandahar
KANDAHAR CITY (PAN): A vote recount has got under way in southern Kandahar province after allegations of fraud in last year's parliamentary election, an official said on Saturday.
Votes were being recounted in the presence of representatives of the governor's house, provincial council, the attorney's office, Haj and Islamic affairs department, the UN mission in Afghanistan, losing candidates and other organisations.
The process would be completed in a fair and transparent way, hoped chief of Kandahar Appellant Court, Dil Aqa Himmat.
A provincial council member, Agha Lali Dastagiri, said eight containers with 882 suspected ballot boxes were brought to Kandahar City a week back on the directives of a special court looking into fraud complaints.
The boxes were sealed before the officials concerned began recounting votes on Saturday, he added.
Mohammad Ismael Majrooh, an unsuccessful candidate, claimed many of the ballots cast in his favour were thrown out. He lodged several complaints at that time but to no avail. Majrooh was sure the votes cast for him would be reviewed during the process.
Of the 51 candidates from Kandahar who contested the Sept. 18 election, 11 were found their way to Parliament.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.