Defence ministry ready for security transition: Azimi
The ministry has been focusing on the capacity, training and equipping of soldiers and at the start of the new Afghan year, on March 21, will be ready to start the transfer of security responsibilities, the ministry said in a statement.
The US president, Barack Obama, has said he wants to start pulling troops out of Afghanistan in July, with the full transition to an Afghan-led security force to be completed by 2014.
Currently the number of Afghan soldiers is 155,418, the ministry’s spokesman, Gen. Zahir Azimi, said in a statement. He said that NATO and its allies had been discussing a date for the start of the transition and that would be announced soon.
A month ago, the Ministry of Interior said Afghan police were also ready for the handover of security control.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.