Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

US forces want to stay put in Afghanistan: Zwak

US forces want to stay put in Afghanistan: Zwak

By
On
Mar 08, 2011 - 18:40

KABULinfo-icon(PANinfo-icon): American forces are intent upon having permanent military bases in the country without accepting any conditions, the Afghanistaninfo-icon Research and Advisory Centre head said on Tuesday.

Civilian deaths during last month's coalition airstrikes in eastern Kunar province amounted to a deliberate act, Ghulam Jilani Zwak told a news conference in Kabul.

The Feb. 18 raid in Ghaziabad district killed more than 60 people, including womeninfo-icon and children. The killings drew condemnation from President Hamid Karzai, who ordered a thorough probe into the incident.

On March 1, nine children were killed in another air raid by foreign troops in Manogai district. The incident prompted the top NATOinfo-icon commander to issue a rare public apology.

Zwak alleged the US and its allies wanted to perpetuate instability and justify their presence in the country by killing "non-combatants" and provoking people into violence.

"In public, US officials say they don't seek military bases, because they will have to sign an agreement with Afghanistan if they openly make such a demand. And the agreement will definitely involve certain condition," he said.

If the instability continued, the Afghan government would be forced into asking the US military to set its bases in the country, the official believed, saying the American would not be required to abide any conditions.

Zwak insisted the March 1 raid was also intentional, as children and insurgents could be easily distinguished.  "Our investigation found that a two-month child's charred body lay in his mother's arms."

He asked the Karzai administration to tell foreign forces in plain words that if any civilian was killed as a result of their operations, they would be tried under Afghan laws

Zwak also urged the government to convene an international conference and inform participants on "how brutally foreign forces are killing Afghan civilians".

The official called upon all political parties, tribal elders, influential figures and the masses to raise their voice against civilian fatalities through "a national campaign".  He also asked fighters to shun violence.

ss/mud

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update