Special court can't be abolished: failed candidates
KABUL (PAN): A special court looking into allegations of fraud in last year's parliamentary election would continue its work, unsuccessful candidates said on Thursday, rejecting calls for the tribunal's dissolution.
Neither the president nor the chief justice had the discretion to disband the tribunal, which was set up on Dec. 26, a failed candidate from southern Ghazni province, Daud Sultanzoi, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
A member of Wolesi Jirga, Mohammad Mohaqiq, said on Wednesday the minister of parliamentary affairs had assured them of considering parliamentarians' demand for abolishing the court. Solving the problem meant dissolving the panel, he added.
In an Islamic country, no one had the right to stop a court from deciding a case filed with it, said another failed candidate, Daud Sultanzoi. Neither the president nor the UN mission could deprive people of their constitutionally-guaranteed rights, he continued.
The court should complete its investigations and hand down its verdict, a former MP from Kabul believed. No one could prevent it from working, Abdul Kabir Ranjbar insisted. "We would resist, tooth and nail, efforts at dissolving the panel."
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.