NATO-led troops shoot civilian in Zabul
QALAT (PAN): A district chief claimed on Friday foreign troops killed one civilian and wounded another in a shooting incident in southern Zabul province.
The two were riding a motorbike in the main bazaar of Shah Joy district on Thursday afternoon when foreign soldiers opened fire on them, Abdul Qayum told Pajhwok Afghan News.
He called the incident a" mistake", saying the injured man was moved to hospital by the forces. Qayum added they had met relatives of the victims and offered an apology. He said foreign troops would investigate the shootout.
A statement from the ISAF media office in the province said the motorcyclists were heading towards a patrol of international forces and were shot at after they ignored repeated signals to stop.
The statement said the soldiers opened fire in self-defence as the two approached the convoy despite warnings. The force confirmed one person was killed and another wounded. The incident is being investigated.
The incident came the day President Hamid Karzai called on the United Nations to put pressure on foreign troops to exercise greater care during operations against insurgents to spare civilians.
On Wednesday, the UN said last year was the deadliest for civilians in the Afghan war, with a 15 percent jump in the death toll.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.