35 killed, 40 injured in Kunduz suicide attack
KUNDUZCITY (PAN): Thirty-five people were killed and 40 others injured, when a suicide bomber blew himself up inside an Afghan army recruitment centre in the northern province of Kunduz on Monday, officials said.
The attack occurred at around 2pm, near Spin Zar in the 1st police district of Kunduz city, the governor's spokesman, Mahbubullah Saedi, told Pajhwok Afghan News. The centre was also hit by a suicide bomber in December, last year.
Up to 33 people, including officers and those who were registering at the centre, were killed and 40 others injured in Monday’s blast, Saedi said.
The attacker was among those registering to join the Afghan National Army, he said.
Thirty-three dead bodies and 25 injured people had been brought to the hospital, and two of the injured had died, head of Kunduz hospital, Dr. Homayoon Khamosh, said.
Witnesses said they heard gunfire after the explosion.
No one has so far claimed responsibility for the blast.
Eight ANA soldiers and policemen were killed and 10 others were injured in a similar attack on the recruitment centre on Dec.19, 2010. Taliban claimed responsibility for that attack.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.