Security forces retake border town in south
LASHKARGAH (PAN): A joint Afghan-international force on Tuesday retook a district centre from insurgents on the third day of an operation in southern Helmand province, a senior official said.
Behramcha, Desho district centre, and its nearby areas, were cleared of militants, deputy governor, Abdul Sattar Mirzakwal, told Pajhwok Afghan News. The joint force also seized a quantity of narcotics, the official said, but had no report about casualties.
He said permanent security posts would be set up in areas retaken from militants and the border would be sealed to prevent any more incursions.
Mirzakwal said Afghan forces were part of the operation, but an Afghan security official denied Afghans were involved.
The 215th MaiwandMilitaryCorpscommander, Brig. Gen. Mohammad Hakim, told Pajhwok Afghan News their troops did not participate in the operation.
A Taliban spokesman, Qari Yusuf Ahmadi, said the fighters had been putting up resistance to foreign troops since Monday evening. Eight tanks were destroyed in roadside bomb attacks, killing 17 soldiers, he claimed.
A number of insurgents were killed in the operation, the force said in a statement.
Taliban militants are in control of Baghan and Washer districts of Helmand.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.