Income doubled in Balkh: governor
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (PAN): Despite serious security concerns, northern Balkh province doubled its revenue over the past 12 months, the governor said.
Revenue for the year ending March 20, 2011 was twice the 3 billion afghanis ($66.3 million) earned in the previous financial year, Ata Mohammad Noor, said during a celebration Monday to mark the New Year.
Looking ahead, Noor said that work would begin on the Mazar-i-Sharif-Heratan railway, costing $129 million, and an airport terminal, costing $48 million, both projects funded by Germany and the United Arab Emirates.
Construction had started on a hospital, costing $20 million, funded by Germany and Sweden, he said.
In addition to the reconstruction projects, many roads, such as 145-kilometre Mazar-i-Sharif-Dara-i-Sawf road and 43km of small roads in Mazar-i-Sharif had been built in the province. More roads would be built at a cost of $70 millions, he said.
Last year, dozens of new buildings for schools, clinics, the chamber of commerce, environment protection agency, irrigation department and customs department were opened.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.