Violence leaves 6 dead in Kandahar
KANDAHARCITY (PAN): Six people, including four guards working for a private security firm, were killed and three others were injured in separate incidents of violence in southern Kandahar province, officials said on Tuesday.
Suspected militants launched an attack on guards of a private security company in the Kuchyano village, situated between Arghandad and Zheri district, on Monday, the Arghandad district chief, Shah Mohammad, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Four guards were killed and three others were wounded in the attack, he said, adding the guards were providing security for a road project in the area.
Work on the project has been suspended, the official said.
The governor's office in a statement confirmed the attack, saying police had launched an investigation.
Elsewhere in the province, gunmen opened fire at a civilian vehicle in the Aman district on the Kabul-Kandahar highway, an official said.
Two occupants of the car were killed, Zalmay Ayubi, the governor's spokesman, said.
Bodies of the dead, identified as Ahmad Javed and Pehlawan, were released to their families, he said.
Meanwhile, Kandahar police chief, Maj. Gen. Khan Mohammad Mujahid, said seven armed men, who wanted to disrupt the Nawroz festival, had been arrested.
Mujahid told reporters in Kandahar city that weapons, including two pistols, three AK-47s, one rocket launcher, three motorcycles and 15 kilograms of explosives and several home-made bombs were recovered from the detainees.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.