17 militants surrender in Sar-i-Pul
SAR-I-PUL (PAN): A 17-member group of militants surrendered to the government, bringing the number of fighters joining the peace process in the northern province of Sar-i-Pul to 250, officials said on Tuesday.
The militants handed over five weapons would help in maintaining security in the area, deputy police chief, Col. Jahangir, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The group led by Commander Abdul Haq was active against the government in Qafaltun area of Syad district, he said.
"I joined the militants a year ago because the government had paid no attention to developing Syad district," Haq said.
He asked the government to reconstruct roads, bridges and schools in the area.
"I was misled and jointed the militants. Now we are waiting for peace and security in the area. I put down my weapon and joined the government and I will support the government to maintain peace," another surrendered fighter, Naqibullah, said.
A 40-member group under the command of Ikramuddin joined the peace process last month in Shiram, in the capital of Sar-i-Pul province.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.