284 civilians killed in east in 3 months: AIHRC
JALALABAD (PAN): As many as 284 civilians had been killed in the last three months in eastern Nangarhar and Kunar provinces, a human rights official said on Tuesday.
Taliban fighters were responsible for 167 of the deaths while the NATO-led coalition was responsible for 117, Rafiullah Baidar regional head of the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC), said.
Most of civilians were killed in an insurgent attack at the Kabul Bank branch in Jalalabad, and in coalition airstrikes in Khugyani and Chaparhar districts of Nangarhar and in Manogi, Ghaziabad and Sawki districts of Kunar, he said.
Nationwide, the eastern zone had the highest number of civilian fatalities during the three months, he said, while blaming militants for causing most of the casualties.
About 42 cases of human rights violations were registered during the three months and AIHRC officials received 30 written complaints about violence against women, Baidar, said.
The cases of violence against women included force marriages, starvation, beating, divorce and others, he said.
He said the AIHRC planned to hold four workshops for public awareness and 16 other training sessions in the next year.
Last year, 549 people participated in workshops and 16 training sessions, he said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.