132 militants killed in Kunar operations: governor
ASADABAD (PAN): As many as 132 militants were killed in clashes with Afghan and international security forces during counter-insurgency operations in eastern Kunar province over the past eight days, the governor said on Wednesday.
The operations are still ongoing to flush out insurgents in the border region with Pakistan, Syed Fazlullah Wahidi, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
He said 132 militants have been killed, 20 others wounded and another 47 captured alive during the operations in Sarkano and Marawara districts.
The governor said they had no report about civilian casualties.
Earlier in the day, the defence ministry said dozens of militants were killed and 18 others were captured in operations in eastern provinces.
"Dozens of insurgents have been killed and 18 others arrested and 10 small and big weapon caches were also uncovered by the troops," the ministry said in a statement.
However, the statement did not reveal the exact number of casualties on militants.
Eighty militants, six foreign and two Afghan troops were killed in clashes in the eastern province of Kunar, which borders Pakistan's lawless tribal region, NATO-led ISAF said on Wednesday.
Several others militants were injured and detained during operations against militants in eastern provinces, ISAF's media office in Kabul said in a statement
Sarkano district chief, Shah Mahmood, said the operation against insurgents was ongoing since last several days in Nawapas, Ganjal and Sapri areas of the district on the Pakistani border.He had no exact figures for casualties, but said no civilian has so far been killed.
A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, confirmed that their eight fighters were killed and 10 others were wounded in clashes with the joint forces.
He claimed that 14 foreign soldiers were killed and several others were wounded during the clashes. Mujahid accused ISAF forces of shelling civilian houses during airstrikes. Several civilian residences were destroyed in ISAF bombardments, he said.