18 rebels dead in Jawzjan clash
SHIBERGHAN (PAN): As many as 18 Taliban fighters were killed in a clash with a joint Afghan-international security force in northern Jawzjan province on Friday, the third day of an ongoing operation, an official said.
The gun-battle broke out as the joint troops moved toward a militant hideout in the Bibi Mariam village of Darzab district, provincial police chief, Brig. Gen. Aziz Ghairat, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
As a result of the clash, he said, 18 insurgents were eliminated. The operation, involving personnel from Afghan police, army, intelligence and foreign soldiers, was ongoing in Qush Tepa and Darzab districts over the past three days, the police chief said.
He said most of areas in Darzab district were cleared of insurgents, with the joint forces continuing their advance toward areas, where guerrilla fighters are operating.
"No civilians have so far been killed or wounded," a local elder, Ghulam Sakhi, said. He confirmed the deaths of 18 insurgents in the clash with security forces.
"There are rumours that a Taliban commander Maulvi Niamatullah was also killed," the elder said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.