ICC board asked to revisit decision on World Cup
At a meeting in Mumbai on April 4, the board decided to allow only the 10 full members to participate in the Cricket World Cup in 2015. The board had also confirmed its previous decision that the next two World Cups would comprise 10 teams.
The board also agreed that the 10 teams for the ICC Cricket World Cup in 2019, to be hosted by England, would be determined on the basis of qualification.
But ICC President Sharad Pawar, after receiving representations from the Associate and Affiliate Members, decided to request the board to revisit the issue at the Hong Kong conference.
"I have given this matter serious thought and will request the board to consider this topic once more. I can understand the views of the Associates and Affiliates," he said in a statement.
On April 13, the Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) said it was disappointed by the ICC decision to cut the number of teams in the 2015 World Cup, calling the move a tragedy for the game in the country.
"It's a tragedy for cricket in Afghanistan," Nasimullah Danish, the ACB chief executive, said in a statement. "Afghanistan's remarkable rise to the elite level has captured the imagination of the world…"
On Tuesday, he hailed Pawar's statement as a good omen for cricket's promotion in Afghanistan. He hoped the national side, which had already upset strong rivals, had the ability to qualify for the mega event.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.