Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Senators ask defence officials to quit

Senators ask defence officials to quit

By
On
Apr 19, 2011 - 17:29

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): Some members of the Meshrano Jirgainfo-icon, upper house of Parliament, asked senior defence ministry officials on Tuesday to stand own for their failure to prevent Monday's attack on the ministry.

A suicide attacker in an army uniform entered the defence ministry in Kabul, and killed two soldiers and wounded seven others.

Nisar Ahmad Haris, a public representative from Kabul, criticised the defence officials for their inability to thwart the assault. "How can they secure the country's borders when they can't defend their ministry?" he asked.

"That bomb exploded inside the ministry is huge biggest shame for them all," the senator remarked, saying the officials concerned should resigned soon after the incident.

Parliamentarian from western Farah province, Gul Ahmad Azimi, called for a leadership change at the ministry to deal with such assaults in the future. "If they cannot protect themselves, how can they maintain security in Khost and Paktia?"

Mohammad Daud Hasas, a member from southern Zabul province, said: "It is very sad; our security agencies jerk into action only after an incident happens." The attack proved insurgents have infiltrated Afghan security forces, he added.

Last week, the head of National Security Directorate (NDSinfo-icon) Rahmatullah Nabeel had told the Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon that some militants had managed to enter Afghan security forces' ranks and efforts were being made to identify them.

Najibullah Hussaini, from central Daikundi province, said: "We pinned high hopes on the defence ministry, but Monday's incident bitterly disappointed us."

He stressed reinforcement of intelligence agencies to prevent such incidents. The fighters recently changed their tactics and security forces should do likewise, Hussaini suggested.

am/mud

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update