Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

8 NATO-led troops killed in airport shooting

8 NATO-led troops killed in airport shooting

By
On
Apr 27, 2011 - 12:14

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): Six International Security Assistance Force (ISAFinfo-icon) soldiers and a contractor were killed during a shooting incident at the Afghan Air Force Headquarters in Kabul on Wednesday, officials said.

The NATOinfo-icon-led force confirmed the loss of its troops in a brief statement. However, in line with its policy, the multinational force deferred casualty identification procedures to the relevant national authorities.

"At 10:25am local Kabul time, authorities received notification of small arms fire at North Kabul International Airport. A quick reaction force responded to the incident," the NATO Training Mission-Afghanistaninfo-icon said.

A gunman in Afghan military uniform sneaked into the building and opened indiscriminate fire, inflicting casualties on Afghan and foreign forces, an air force spokesman said.

Col. Bahadar told Pajhwok Afghan News the assailant was killed in retaliatory fire from the security personnel. He said the gunman fired into a command centre, where Afghan and foreign forces were meeting.

Defence ministry spokesman, Gen. Zahir Azimi, confirmed the incident, which was triggered by a verbal clash between an Afghan pilot and one of his foreign counterparts. Some casualties resulted from the shootout, he said, without giving a specific figure.

Afghan and NATO-led troops cordoned off the area immediately after the fire exchange, confided an official at the Kabul police headquarters.

Another source identified the attacker as a retired colonel, who managed to enter into the headquarters and opened fire on his former colleagues. Four people, including two foreigners, were injured as result, he said.

As usual, the Talibaninfo-icon claimed responsibility for the assault, with their spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid saying a large number of Afghan and NATO-led troops were killed.

Last week, some suicide bombers in ANA uniforms entered into the heavily-fortified defence ministry, killing three officials and wounding six others.

mud

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update