Taliban support UN's appeal for protecting civilians
"We back all steps towards minimising civilian casualties in the war," Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the militant movement, said in a statement.
Ambassador Staffan de Mistura, the UN chief in Afghanistan, said earlier in the day: "Parties to the conflict must not deliberately attack, target or kill civilians, or indiscriminately harm them. We call on all parties to take all possible measures to protect civilians."
On Saturday, the Taliban declared a start to the spring offensive, warning of attacks government officials, members of Cabinet, Parliament and the High Peace Council, and heads of foreign and Afghan companies working for the government.
Responding to the UNAMA head's appeal, Mujahid said: "Special attention is being paid to protecting civilians and their properties in planning for Operation Badr (spring offensive)." He insisted the fighters had always done their bit to spare non-combatants.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.