700 militants killed in two months: Azimi
KABUL(PAN): As many as 700 militants and 100 Afghan security personnel have been killed in violence-related incidents across the country over the past two months, the Ministry of Defence said on Wednesday.
While, at least 1,820 civilians were killed and wounded as a result of 4,360 bomb blasts over the past four months, the ministry spokesman, Gen. Mohammad Zahir Azimi, told a news conference in Kabul.
In the last two months, 700 militants were killed and 1,299 others were wounded and another 122 were arrested, he said. During the period, he said, 380 Afghan soldiers were injured.
Azimi said Afghan soldiers found and defused 651 roadside bombs and seized 3,660 kilograms of ammunitions with 13 bullet-proof uniforms used by insurgents.
Afghan forces also captured 3,000 kg of opium, 278 kg of hashish and 10 tonnes of ammonium nitrate over the past two months, he said.
On the security transition to the Afghan lead, Azimi said Afghan forces were ready to take over the responsibility, a process beginning in July, but they lacked armoured vehicles. "When soldiers lack armoured vehicles, they can not be called a complete army," he said.
He said the availability of armoued vehicles was essential for the defence of the country and that the issued had been discussed with the US government.
Currently, the number of Afghan security personnel is 164,000, which will be increased to 167,000 in the coming weeks, according to Azimi.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.