Commanders among 41 militants surrender
QALA-I-NAW (PAN): Forty-one militants, including three commanders, joined the peace process in northwestern Badhis province, officials said on Wednesday.
The three commanders, Mullah Abdul Karim, Mullah Shah Wali and Mullah Abdul Zahir, surrendered to the authorities along with their 38 fighters on Tuesday evening, provincial National Directorate of Security (NDS) head, Col. Abdul Qayum, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Karim handed over 19 Kalashnikovs while Shah Wali, 12 and Zhahir seven to security personnel, he said.
The commanders had been active against the government in Qadis district over the past two years. “I was feeling bored with Taliban and decided to the peace process,” Mullah Abdul Karim, said.
He vowed to cooperate with security personnel in keeping security for the district and asked the government to provide them job opportunities.
Abdul Qayum said the surrendering commanders would be recruited into security forces if they were required to maintain security for the implementation of development schemes in the district.
So far 301 militants have joined the peace process in Badghis since March.21, 2010.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.