ISAF rejects allegations on detainee's death
KABUL(PAN): The International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) on Saturday rejected as biased claims that NATO-led troops handed over the body of a detainee to his family with his hands cut off in central Logar province.
Provincial officials, including the council chief, Dr. Abdul Wali Wakeel, and the Charkh district development council head, Mohammad Naeem, alleged on Friday the body of Amir Mohammad was released to his family on Thursday night with his hands severed and throat slit.
They said Mohammad had died in custody of foreign troops at the Bagram detention centre in central Parwan province, where he was taken for investigation six days ago from the Sheikhi village. The man had been held on the charge of having ties to the Taliban.
"We strongly reject the allegation made by these individuals to Pajhwok Afghan News on the death of Mohammad as biased. Dr. Abdul Wali Wakeel and Mohammad Naeem are lying to your news agency as well as to the people of Afghanistan. This is…. a false and malicious allegation," ISAF said in a statement.
It recommended this new agency to re-interview the individuals and challenge them to produce a shred of proof to support their outrageous claims. "Allegations of this nature are a disservice to the people of Afghanistan
because they hide the truth and cause understandably angry reactions that damage security for the Afghan people and international forces who are here to protect them."
It said the detainee died of natural causes and a medical investigation was accomplished to determine the cause of his death. "The detainee's hands were not cut off as part of the investigation, and any incisions made were done in order to determine how the detainee died," it said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.