Takhar provincial council members boycott work
TALOQAN (PAN): Provincial council members in northern Takhar province went on a strike on Monday, asking the government to determine the real cause behind a recent violent demonstration.
They closed their office and vowed to boycott work as long as the authorities did not expose the individuals who instigated violence at last week's protest, which resulted in the killing of 12 people and injuries to 90 others.
The council members said their office would remain closed until a credible investigation into the incident was conducted, Mohammad Warsaji, chief of the council, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Some members also demanded the dismissal of the provincial police and intelligence chiefs over the killing of civilians. "They could not calm down the protestors and should be fired," said Jamshed, a member of the council.
Government officials, on the other hand, blamed council members for involvement in last week's violent demonstration.
"Unfortunately, some of the members themselves participated in the demo," Governor Abdul Jabbar Taqwa said. Without naming anyone, he said they had photos of the council members leading the demo.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.