Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Nighttime raids to continue: Gen. Blotz

Nighttime raids to continue: Gen. Blotz

By
On
May 30, 2011 - 17:13

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): Despite President Hamid Karzai's orders for an immediate stop to nighttime raids, the NATOinfo-icon-led force said on Monday it would go ahead with the operations.

On Sunday, Karzai issued a final warning to NATO-led troops over civilian deaths -- hours after 14 non-combatants were killed in a new airstrike in southern Helmand province.

The fatalities resulting from a raid in Nawzad district included womeninfo-icon and children, said the governor's spokesman Daud Ahmadi. Governor Gulab Mangal, condemning the casualties, said a team had been set up to investigate the raid.

Karzai strongly denounced the latest instance of collateral damage, his office said in a statement. "The US and ISAFinfo-icon forces have been told repeatedly that their irresponsible operations are harming innocent and poor Afghans." 

The statement added: "Although such raids trample all human and moral values, NATO-led forces seem not to heed our warnings," the president was quoted as saying.

On behalf of Afghans, Karzai issued a final warning to foreign soldiers and condemned the Helmand strike as a blunder. He directed the provincial authorities to probe the raid and compensate the victims' families.

"In order to achieve our goals, we should continue with nighttime raids" ISAF spokesman Brig. Gen. Josef Blotz said at a joint press conference with NATO senior civilian representative's spokesman, Dominic Medley.

In 85 percent of the operations, not a single shot was fired, he said, adding the raids were conducted jointly with Afghan soldiers. "We respect Karzai's demand for a stop to ISAF operations, but the nighttime raids should continue to achieve our goals."

Foreign soldiers had been trying to prevent civilian fatalities, Dominic Medley said, the Talibaninfo-icon for 85 percent of the deaths. "Killing civilians is a tragedy for us," he remarked.

Blotz said that a joint team of Afghan police, soldiers, intelligence operatives and ISAF forces was on the ground in Helmand to probe claims of civilian deaths in a May 28 coalition airstrike in Nawzad.

frm/mud

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update