Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Takhar blast not a suicide attack: NDS

Takhar blast not a suicide attack: NDS

By
On
May 30, 2011 - 15:51

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): This week's massive blast at the Takhar governor's compound was caused by explosives placed at entrance, not by a suicide bomber, the National Directorate of Security (NDSinfo-icon) said on Monday.

A joint team of NDS and Ministry of Interior officials found it was not a suicide attack, and the remote-controlled device had been placed in a corridor of the compound, the spy service said.

The huge blast in Taloqan, capital of Takhar province, killed four Afghan police officials, including two senior commanders, and two German soldiers. Nine officials, including the provincial governor, were wounded.

Gen. Mohammad Daud Daud, the 303rd Pamir Zone police commander, and Brig. Gen. Shah Jehan Noori, the provincial police chief, were among the dead.

Efforts at identifying the perpetrators were underway and further information in this regard would be released in due course of time, the NDS said a statement.

Governor Abdul Jabbar Taqwa said on Sunday the government had prior information regarding the suicide attack, which was planned abroad. They had received an intelligence tip about the attack and the bomber's mobile phone number, Taqwa claimed.

Nine officials, including Taqwa and NATOinfo-icon's German commander Gen. Markus Kneip, were wounded. The investigation would show who carried out the attack, Taqwa told Pajhwok Afghan News.

As usual, the Talibaninfo-icon asserted responsibility for the attack. The militants claimed that in addition to the police commander, some foreigners and high-ranking Afghan officials were also killed.

frm/mud

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update