Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Daud death won't affect security: officials

Daud death won't affect security: officials

By
On
Jun 02, 2011 - 18:36

MAZAR-I-SHARIF (PANinfo-icon): Afghan and foreign security officials said on Thursday a massive bomb attack that killed senior security commanders in northern Takhar province would have no negative impact on the security situation.

Speaking at a joint press conference with NATOinfo-icon commanders, the 209th Shaheen Military Corps commander, Gen. Zalmay Wesa, said the spring offensive had successfully been completed in the north and northeast.

He said new operations would soon be launched against the insurgents. The spring offensive included operations Omid, Nawroz and Wahdat, which resulted in the deaths of 62 militants, including two commanders Maulviinfo-icon Nimatullah and Maulvi Qudus.

To a question, he said, the death of Gen. Daud Daud, the 303rd Pamir Police Zone commander, would not undermine security in the north. Daud was among four other officials, including the Takhar police chief, killed in the bomb blast that rocked the governor's compound last week.

"We are deeply concerned at Daud's death, but security does not depend on a single person. Afghan forces are able to defend the region in partnership with foreign troops," Wesa said.

Efforts were being made to bring to justice masterminds behind deadly attacks against security forces, he continued.

An ISAFinfo-icon commander told the press conference that nighttime operations were essential to defeat militants. He said they had received a special order from their high command to avoid civilian casualties during such operations.

Suspects arrested during nighttime operations would be handed over to Afghans.

ma/mud

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update