Rohani's third death anniversary observed
LASHKARHAH (PAN): The third death anniversary of slain journalist, Abdul Samad Rohani, was observed on Wednesday in Lashkargah, the capital of southern Helmand province, amid calls for the arrest of his killers.
A large number of journalists, culturists, government officials, relatives, friends and residents participated in the ceremony for Rohani, who worked as a freelance reporter for Pajhwok Afghan News. He was killed three years ago after being kidnapped in the Bolan area.
Governor Gulab Mangal was among several government officials who attended the gathering. Rohani's father, Maulvi Dost Mohammad, who traveled from Marja district to Lashkargah, said he wanted to see his son's killers punished. Rohani was the only breadwinner for his family, he said.
His brother Hazrat Mohammad lamented the government's inaction to arrest the killers. He sought financial support for Rohan's family, including two wives and four children.
"Our family is facing serious economic problems," he said, thanking the governor for allotting a plot of land to the family and renaming a school after Rohani.
A culturist, Agha Mohammad, asked the country's spy service to bring Rohani's murderers to justice.
The governor acknowledged that intelligence agencies had failed to arrest the killers, saying he had so far received no report about Rohani's death from the officials concerned. Mangal asked security officials to re-investigate the incident.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.