Afghans to lead Helmand affairs after security transfer: Eikenberry
LASHKARGAH (PAN): All affairs of southern Helmand province would be led by Afghans with the transfer of the security responsibility to local forces from their international partners, the US ambassador said on Thursday.
Karl Eikenberry, who arrived in Lashkargah on a brief visit, told a press conference that there had been visible positive changes with regard to security, reconstruction, justice and other affairs in the province.
Governor Gulab Mangal and administrative department head, Abdul Malik Kamawi, were also present at the news conference.
Eikenberry said Afghan forces in Helmand were ready to assume the security responsibility. All affairs of Helmand would be Afghan-led after the security transfer, he added.
President Hamid Karzai and his US counterpart Barak Obama have agreed that all development and reconstruction projects be implemented by the Afghan government on its own.
The US assistance, to be cut after the troops' withdrawal, would be more effective than in the past, the ambassador said, promising his country would continue to assist Afghanistan in every sphere of life even after the completion of the transition process in 2014.
Gulab Mangal said he insisted on continued US aid to Helmand at his meeting with Eikenberry. He said the US envoy appreciated the work done by security forces, provincial council, the justice department and other departments.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.