3 of a family shot dead in Nangarhar
JALALABAD (PAN): Unknown gunmen shot dead three members of a family in Khugyani district of eastern Nangarhar province, where foreign troops detained four suspected insurgents, officials said on Friday.
The gun attack in Mamli village late on Thursday night resulted in the deaths of head of the family, his brother and a son, said the governor's spokesman, Ahmad Zia Abdulzai.
The district chief, Mohammad Hassan, said the individuals killed by unknown armed men were civilians, who were taken out of their house and were shot dead at around 9am.
An investigation had been launched into the triple-murder incident, he said.
But residents said the dead were Afghan military officials. The attackers dressed in military uniforms and having dogs raided the victims' house during the night, residents said.
Meanwhile, the Khugyani district chief said NATO-led troops detained four suspected militants in the Nakarkhel area on Thursday night.
Mohammad Hassan was unable to identify the detainees, but said residents had told him the men were locals.
Abdulzai also confirmed the arrests, but had no details.
A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said the detainees were civilians and had no links with the movement.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.