Security and Crime
2 killed, 2 injured in Parwan suicide attackBy Farid Tanha Jun 21, 2011 - 11:47
CHARIKAR (PAN): Two people were killed and two injured in a suicide attack Tuesday targeting the vehicle of the Parwan provincial governor.
The attack on the governor's convoy took place around 11:00 am near his provincial office. Governor Abdu Baser Salangi told Pajhwok Afghan News in an exclusive interview that he had been on his way to inaugurate a road in the Gul Bahar area of the province.
The driver of the convoy was killed, as was a 12-year-old girl who had been passing by when the attack occurred, he said. Two policemen were injured.
The governor said that the suicide attacker was wearing a white shirt and jeans.
The governor's bodyguard, Shafiqullah, said that the suicide bomber blew himself up near the convoy before reaching his target when security personnel noticed him.
Police are investigating the incident, said Ziaurahman Sayed Kheli, the provincial deputy police chief.
Zabiullah Mujahid, the Taliban spokesman, claimed responsibility, saying the Taliban had no information about the governor's condition.