16 insurgents killed in Nangarhar
JALALABAD (PAN): At least 16 Waziri militants were killed during an operation conducted by combined Afghan and international forces in eastern Nangarhar province, officials said on Monday.
The operation was launched late on Sunday in the Balalkhel area of the Khogiani district, Haji Mohammad Hassan, the district chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
ISAF said Monday in a statement delivered to Pajhwok Afghan News that the purpose of the operation was locate a weapons cache and stop fighters and weapons from moving into Nangarhar.
The ISAF statement said insurgents fired on the combined force during the search operation and that more than 15 insurgents were killed in the clash. The combined force confiscated a rocket-propelled grenade launcher, several machineguns, grenades, AK-47 rifles and chest racks from the scene.
Ahmad Zia Abdullzia, the governor's spokesman, said that the rebels’ bodies remained in the area. He added that no civilians had been killed or wounded in the operation.
Zabiullah Mujahid, a spokesman for Taliban, confirmed the death of 13 insurgents, and claimed that 28 foreign soldiers had suffered casualties in the clash.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.