Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

9 civilians, 7 insurgents killed in nighttime ISAF strike

9 civilians, 7 insurgents killed in nighttime ISAF strike

By
On
Jul 12, 2011 - 11:14

PUL-I-ALAM (PANinfo-icon): At least nine civilians and seven insurgents were killed in an ISAFinfo-icon airstrike in central Logar Province, officials said on Tuesday. But ISAF denies reports of civilian casualties.

The strike occurred late Monday, around midnight, in the Azra district of the province. Foreign soldiers bombarded Moalavi Rasul's and a neighboring house, Dr. Abdul Wali Wakil, the provincial council chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News.

Wakil quoted the district council chief as saying that Moalavi Rasul and eight members of his family, including children, were killed in the strike. He added that seven Talibaninfo-icon, including four Waziristani fighters, were also killed and five other civilians injured.

Wakil quoted the district council chief as saying that Rasul was a simple and innocent person and that there was no reason for a civilian home to have been targeted.

The governor’s spokesman, Din Mohammad Darwesh, confirmed the attack and the civilian casualties and said that foreign soldiers had targeted two occupied houses.

He said that ISAF had reported that Taliban had planned an attack in the Azra district.

The ISAF media office in Kabulinfo-icon confirmed the operation but rejected reports of civilian casualties, adding that the strike was a combined operation between Afghan and international forces and that several insurgents had been killed.

Meanwhile, Taliban Spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said that 14 civilians were killed in the strike. He denied any casualties to   to his fighters.

 

mrh/mbg/kg

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update