Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Kunduz residents complain of Taliban commander’s cruelty

Kunduz residents complain of Taliban commander’s cruelty

By
On
Jul 12, 2011 - 18:04

KUNDUZ CITY (PANinfo-icon):  People from the Qala Zal district of northern Kunduz province complain of the cruelty of a Talibaninfo-icon commander who recently surrendered to the government.

Commander Bahro surrendered along with two of his fighters last month in Qala Zal district of the province. According to local officials the former jihadiinfo-icon commander fought against the government for two years.

The commander often beat people and stole their money and possessions, said Ikramuddin, 50, a resident of Qarns village. “When the Taliban controlled this area, commander Bahro entered my house and asked me for 10,000 afghanis, but I had no money to give him. He was beating me when my mother came to release me from him, so he punched my mother,” he said through tears.

The commander took his carpet, which had a value of 15,000 afghanis, he said.

He said the commander victimized people in the area along with dozens of his guards. He also said locals feared being killed if they reported such abuses to the government.

More than 200 of the district’s people gathered in a mosqueinfo-icon to ask the government to hear their complaints against the commander.

“When the commadner Bahro was loyal to Taliban, he took our money and carpets, so I left my village and came to the district centre,” one of the participants of the gathering, Nadar Shah, said. “He should return the goods of people, if he took them.”

But commander Bahro denied the allegations. He said he was ready to answer any complaint against him.

He joined the government in order to bring peace to the area and to serve his country, he said.

It was illegal to travel with more than 10 guards in the district bazaar, the district chief said, and so the government should investigate claims that Bahro travelled with dozens of guards.

The commanders who join the peace process have the right to defend themselves, including Bahro, said Asadullah Omakhel, head of the Kunduz Peace Council.  

For the past eight months, more than 400 militants, including dozens of their commanders, have joined the peace process in the province.

More than 1,500 tribal militia soldiers have been appointed to posts in different branches of the government.

myn/kg

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update