Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

ISAF, police, civilian suffer casualties in Kapisa attack (UPDATED)

ISAF, police, civilian suffer casualties in Kapisa attack (UPDATED)

By
On
Jul 13, 2011 - 13:23

MAHMUD RAQI (PANinfo-icon): Three International Security Assistance Force (ISAFinfo-icon) soldiers, two policemen and an Afghan civilian suffered casualties in an attack in central Kapisa province, an official said Wednesday.

In a telephone interview with Pajhwok Afghan News, ISAF confirmed an attack on its troops and speculated that it may have been caused by a rocket propelled grenade (RPG).

ISAF also confirmed that a number of its soldiers had suffered casualties but did not provide exact figures or say whether there were fatalities.

But Abdul Hakim Akhundzada, the Tagab district chief, said that a suicide attacker had struck International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) soldiers at around noon near an ISAF base in the Tagab district, where French troops are based.

In a 3pm phone interview with Pajhwok Afghan News, Akhundzada added that he thought three ISAF troops had been killed and three people, including two local police, were injured in the attack. But he said the number might change.

He said the Tagab-Alasai road was closed by ISAF and no one was allowed to move by that road.

n investigation has been launched into the incident, he said.

The spokesman for French troops, however, denied that a suicide attack had targeted them in Tagab district.

The Talibaninfo-icon claimed responsibility for the attack, which Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said killed or injured 27 French troops.

He added that the attack occurred in the Joy Bar area of Tagab district before noon when French troops and local police were exiting the home of a local police commander, Shirin, after a private meeting there.

He said the attack was conducted by a Taliban fighter named Murad Ali, a resident of Nangarhar. He added that high-ranking French provincial recontruction team (PRTinfo-icon) authorities had come to Tagab from Kabulinfo-icon.

Mohammad Ismaeel, an eyewitness, told Pajhwok Afghan News: “Two local police were injured in the suicide attack.”

Ismaeel added that the suicide attacker struck the passing patrol of French troops, though he had no details about ISAF casualties.

mrh/mbg/at

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update