Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Parliament condemns civilian deaths in Khost

Parliament condemns civilian deaths in Khost

By
On
Jul 16, 2011 - 19:33

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): Lower house of parliament on Saturday condemned civilian deaths during an operation by a joint Afghan-international security force in southeastern Khost province on Wednesday.

Six civilians, including womeninfo-icon and children, were killed in the Afghan forces led operation in Tora Wori area of Khost district on Wednesday evening, according to local officials.

ISAFinfo-icon said it has initiated a joint incident assessment team to assess the incident.

On Friday, President Hamid Karzai ordered an investigation into the deaths, directing the provincial governor to submit him a report in this regard.

It was for the second time that civilians were killed in a military operation. On June 9, a nighttime operation in the Doa Manda district of the province was resulted in the deaths of 13 civilians.

The Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon in a statement said all the dead and wounded in the two operations were civilians. It said that killing Afghans in every corner of the country could not be a mistake.

The statement called on foreign troops to immediately stop such operations and that every operation should be Afghan led.

The statement also asked the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistaninfo-icon (UNAMA) and the international troops to investigate the two incidents and share the findings with lawmakers.

Mir Bat Khan Mangal, a legislator from Khost, said that the people killed and wounded in security operations in his province were local civilians.

Another lawmaker from the same province, Kamal Nasir Asuli, also confirmed that the victims were civilians.

He said that the provincial council office had been closed in protest against the killings.

ma

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update