Afghan forces set to take control of Lashkargah
LASHKARGAH (PAN): Afghan forces are ready to take security responsibility from their international counterparts for Lashkargah, the capital of southern Helmand province, an official said on Sunday.
"We will have no need for foreign troops once they leave as part of the security transition process," the Helmand police chief, Brig. Gen. Mohammad Hakim Angar, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The first phase of the security transition process, which is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2014, covers seven regions, including two provinces.
Afghan forces are poised to take security control of Lashkargah on Thursday (July 20), Angar said. The security personnel, having a satisfactory strength, were equipped with sophisticated weapons, he added.
Angar said they would not seek assistance from foreign troops and would conduct patrols and operations on their own.
The transition process would be extended gradually to other parts of the province in cooperation with tribal elders and common people, the police chief said.
Ahead of the security transfer, he said, a search operation had been lunched in the Nahr-i-Saraj area near Lashkargah. No clash has taken place so far during the offensive.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.