Ministry rejects Taliban allegation as baseless
KABUL (PAN): The Ministry of Information and Technology on Wednesday rejected as groundless Taliban's claim that telecommunication companies are supporting intelligence agencies against the rebel movement.
The militants made the allegation after some media outlets received messages from the phone numbers and email addresses of Taliban spokesmen Zabihullah Mujahid and Qari Yousuf Ahmadi, saying that Mullah Omar has died.
Later, the two Taliban spokesmen rejected the rumours about their leader's death. Qari Yousuf Ahmadi said Afghan and US spy rings has hacked their mobile phone accounts, email accounts and website to issue false messages.
He also slammed the telecommunication networks, saying that they supported the spy agencies. Zabihullah Mujahid said Mullah Omar is still alive and is continuing his struggle within Afghanistan.
Reacting to the allegation, an official of the ministry said the telecom networks have no links with spy agencies. Khair Mohammad Faizi told Pajhwok Afghan News the telecom firms would never take steps that threaten their business interest.
In an attempt to achieve their political objectives, some quarters are trying to impede operations of telecommunication firms in the country and pave the way for Taliban attacks on their installations, Faizi said.
"Every political group has its friends and foes. It's obvious the group will use all resources at its disposal to weaken its opponents. But I can confidently say that telecom companies never do such things…," he said.
Before receiving operational licences, he said, the firms promised the ministry they would neither participate in political activities nor support any particular party. The companies had so far done nothing that violated their promise, the official insisted.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.