Security to be transferred in Herat
HERAT (PAN): Security responsibility for the western city of Herat is being handed to Afghan forces, an official said on Thursday.
Asil Din Jami, the deputy governor, told Pajhwok Afghan News that there will be two ceremonies to mark the transition.
The first ceremony will include head of the transition commission Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai, as well as the Ministers of Defense, Energy and Power, Agriculture, Economy, and the Deputy Minister of Interior, International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) representatives, and provincial officials.
The second ceremony will take place on the base of the Zafar Corp of the Afghan National Army (ANA) in the Guzara district. ISAF and Afghan military officials will give statements, after which security responsibility will be formally handed to Afghan forces.
The provincial deputy governor said that Afghan forces in Herat were fully ready to take over security responsibility.
There are roughly 3,880 Italian soldiers in the province of Herat.
Italy commands the forces of 12 countries in western Afghanistan.
Over 30 Italian soldiers have been killed in western Afghanistan so far.
President Hamid Karzai announced the security transition process in March on the first day of Nawroz, the solar New Year.
The first phase of transition process will take place in seven provinces; the transition is expected to be completed throughout the country by the end of 2014.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.