Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Nangarharis unhappy with hajj quota

Nangarharis unhappy with hajj quota

By
On
Aug 06, 2011 - 15:22

JALALABAD (PANinfo-icon): Government officials and residents of Nangarhar said on Saturday they were unhappy with the hajjinfo-icon quota for the eastern province.

A delegation from the Ministry of Hajj conducted a draw to select 1,520 people from Nangarhar for performing the religious ritual this year.

Hajj and Auqaf Director Maulviinfo-icon Abdul Aziz Khairkhwa told Pajhwok Afghan News a total of 5,400 intending pilgrims, including 2,500 womeninfo-icon, had submitted applications.

He said the ballot was underway in the presence of department officials, a delegation from Kabulinfo-icon and representatives of security organs, courts and the municipality.

Khairkhwa called Nangarhar an important province, given its population, security, trade activities and border with Pakistaninfo-icon. He urged the central government to increase the hajj quota for the province.

He also asked the government to arrange Hajj flights from Jalalabad, the provincial capital, like other zones of the country.

Provincial council secretary, Dr. Lal Mohammad Durrani, recalled 1,150 people had been selected for hajj last year. He said the province had been denied justice.

Badam Khan, 55, a resident of the Surkh Rod district, said he had been selected as a result of the draw. "I don’t know anyone in the hajj department. God has called me to Makkah."

Governor Gul Agha Sherzai has requested the Ministry of Hajj to increase Nangarhar's quota to 2,000, said his spokesman, Ahmad Zia Abdulzai. "We are not happy with the quota provided by the ministry."

ma/mud

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update