Security has improved after transition: Azizi
MEHTARLAM (PAN): The security situation in Mehtarlam, the capital of eastern Laghman province, has improved after the transfer of the security responsibility to local forces from international troops, the governor said on Monday.
Mehtarlam was one the seven areas that were handed over to Afghan forces as part of a security transition process, which is scheduled to be completed across the country by the end of 2014.
"The situation in Mehtarlam was already comparatively peaceful before the transition. Now it has further improved," Mohammad Iqbal Azizi told Pajhwok Afghan News in an exclusive interview.
He said no major security problem had been encountered in the city since the security responsibility was handed to Afghan forces. Local forces patrolled the provincial capital round the clock, the governor said, acknowledging cooperation from residents and tribal elders.
In response to a question, Azizi said Afghan forces had the ability to provide security for Mehtarlam and remote areas of the province. Special police units have been created and equipped with sophisticated weapons.
The number of Afghan National Army troops has also increased. The governor said foreign troops had no role in providing security and all responsibility rested with Afghan forces.
Laghman borders five provinces and its security has a direct impact on those provinces, Azizi said, hoping national forces would be able to make the transition process a success. The governor said would launch development programmes in districts.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.