9 rebels killed in Kandahar
KANDAHAR CITY (PAN): Nine insurgents have been killed over the past one week in southern Kandahar province, an official said on Thursday.
Another seven individuals were detained for possessing explosives and drugs, the acting police chief, Brig. Gen. Abdul Raziq, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Several search and clearing operations were carried out during the outgoing week in Kandahar City and districts, he told a press conference in the provincial capital.
The rebels were killed in Shah Walikot and Panjwai districts. The seven people were detained in different parts of the city and had been referred to the prosecutor's office.
Thirty-five landmines were defused during the week, when some heavy and light weapons and five motorcycles were seized during security operations, he said.
Raziq said the militants were weakened in remote parts of the province and that efforts were being made to prevent bomb attacks and target killings in the city.
In this regard, he said, police laced with modern weapons and equipment had received training in detecting and defusing mines.
The general said that so far more than 100 militants have been detained and 35 others killed since he took charge as provincial police chief three months ago.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.