22 dead in attack on governor's office
In Kabul, the Ministry of Interior said the dead included 16 government servants and six police. Another 34 people, mostly civilians and policemen, were wounded, a statement from the ministry said.
At least six suicide bombers were involved in the attack that began with a car bombing outside the front gate. The blast created a hole in the wall, enabling five suicide bombers to enter the heavily-guarded building.
But Governor Abdul Basir Salangi put the toll at 17 dead and 33 wounded. He said the assailants faced tough resistance from the policemen on duty.
"Two suicide attackers detonated their explosives at the southern entrance, while the three others were gunned down by police," he told reporters. Most of the people wounded were civilians, he added.
"As many as 16 dead bodies and 30 wounded people were brought to hospital," Dr. Mohammad Qasim Saeedi, provincial public health director, said. Some of the wounded people were in critical condition, he added.
In a statement from his office, the president praised the national police force for its ability to gun down the attackers and prevent further casualties.
Civilian deaths are intolerable in any culture and religion, International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said, while denouncing Sunday's attack.
As usual, the Taliban asserted responsibility for the attack, saying 48 Afghan and foreign soldiers had been killed in the blast and subsequent fighting. "Americans were among the fatalities."
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.