Taliban's group attacks down: ISAF
KABUL(PAN): Group attacks by the Taliban have fallen by 20 percent during the first half of 2011, compared to the corresponding last year, the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said on Monday.
Brig. Gen. Carsten Jacobsen, the ISAF spokesman, told a news conference in Kabul some Taliban leaders would not return from Pakistan. But those who have come back are attacking civilians, he said.
He believed the insurgents leaders did not want to return home for fear of being killed in counterinsurgency operations. Afghan and foreign forces would continue their joint offensive of against the militants, he vowed.
With the guerrillas planting explosives on highways, Afghan and NATO-led forces would do all they could to ensure a brilliant future for the country, he said.
Afghan forces had proven they could thwart guerrilla attacks, the German general said, while referring to Sunday's suicide attack on the governor's compound in central Parwan province.
Afghan forces, with the cooperation of ISAF, moved swiftly to stop the assailants in their tracks and thwart their nefarious designs, Jacobsen said.
The militants were still able to launch group attacks, believed the general, who once again insisted on the success of nighttime operations. He said most of the raids were focused on militant arrests and led to minimum civilian causalities.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.